Find yourself spellbound on the shimmering Charente River
A river of incredibly clear water lined with pines, vineyards and meadows, the Charente is amongst the prettiest waterways for canal boat vacations in France! Long known for its cognac, gracious châteaux and friendly people, the valley opens its arms to you, inviting you to savour a leisurely journey on a river that looks as beautiful as it did many centuries ago.
- Cognac distilleries
- Michelin-starred restaurants
- Roman ruins
- Peaceful countryside
- Historic towns and pretty villages
Useful Info for the Charente
Top 10 secret gems Charente
- Cognac’s Château de Cognac;
- St. Savinien’s wine festival;
- Archaeology Museum in Saintes;
- St. Simon’s Maison des Gabariers;
- Trois-Palis chocolates;
- St. Pierre Cathedral in Angoulême;
- Rochefort’s maritime museum;
- Crazanne’s château;
- Chanier’s water mill;
- Jarnac’s cognac tour.
We will happily arrange taxi transfer between our bases and your airport or train station. Because we do this a lot, we can usually obtain a better rate than individual travellers.
- GPS: W0° 10.41` / N45° 40.682`
- Jarnac (500 m)
- Bordeaux - Merignac (125 km)